Program Information Report (PIR)
The Office of Head Start Program Information Report (PIR) provides comprehensive data on the services, staff, children, and families served by Head Start and Early Head Start programs nationwide. All grantees and delegates are required to submit PIR for Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
Reporting is now open for the 2014-2015 program year. All PIRs are due Aug. 31, 2015. Programs will follow the 2014-2015 Form.
The 2015-2016 PIR Form is being provided in advance of next program year to give programs and developers ample notice of new and restructured questions. Please note that Advance Copy 1.2 incorporates public comments to the draft questions previously published in the Federal Register.
2014-2015 PIR Collection Documents
- 2014-2015 PIR Form (posted June 15, 2015) [PDF, 588KB]
- 2014-2015 PIR Change Highlights (posted June 15, 2015) [PDF, 105KB]
- PIR Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (updated June 15, 2015)
- 2014-2015 PIR Performance Indicator Formulas (posted June 15, 2015) [PDF, 148KB]
- 2014-2015 PIR XML Import Format (posted June 15, 2015) [PDF, 1MB]
- 2014-2015 PIR Document Revision History (posted June 15, 2015) [PDF, 63KB]
Advance Copy 2015-2016 PIR
Services Snapshots summarize annual PIR data. National Services Snapshots are available to download here:
- Services Snapshot – All Programs (2014-2015) [PDF, 53KB]
- Early Head Start Services Snapshot (2014-2015) [PDF, 53KB]
- Head Start Services Snapshot (2014-2015) [PDF, 51KB]
If you are interested in a Services Snapshot for a program near you, use the Program Service Reports search tool.
Access to PIR Data
The PIR is an important source of descriptive and service data for the Head Start community, their partners, Congress, and for the general public. PIR data is compiled for use at the federal, regional, state, and local levels.
The full PIR data set, prior year reports, and PIR forms are available to the public on request.
Contact the Head Start Enterprise System (HSES) Help Desk to request access.
HSES Help Desk
Email: help at hsesinfo dot org
Toll Free: 1-866-771-4737 Local: 703-528-0591
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. ET
Excluding federal holidays and weather-related federal office closures
Current HSES users have access to the full PIR data set in HSES via the Reports tab at https://hses.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/pir/.
Program Information Report (PIR). HHS/ACF/OHS. 2015. English.
Last Reviewed: November 2015
Last Updated: November 20, 2015