Steps to Success
An Instructional Design for Early Literacy Mentor-Coaches in Head Start and Early Head Start
Steps to Success is a professional development program with proven strategies for building strong and effective relationships among colleagues who work in early childhood settings. Viewing the introductory video helps Early Literacy Mentor-Coaches in Head Start and Early Head Start understand the overall organization and focus of the Steps to Success resources including how to integrate the Tutored-Video Instruction (TVI) segments with the print-based materials.
Review individual parts of Steps to Success materials and download:
Order Steps to Success materials (requires registration on the ECLKC):
- Log in to the ECLKC. If you are not a registered user, please register here or contact Head Start Knowledge and Information Management Services (HSKIMS) at 1-866-763-6481.
- Go to Resources and select Head Start Publications.
- In the Search Term box above the list of publications, type “Steps to Success” or “Pasos hacia el éxito” and select Submit .
Limit: One order of the Steps to Success kit per program, while supplies last.
Multiple copies of the following are available in both English and Spanish:
- Protégé Journal
- Professional Development Plan
- Decision Maker Guide
- Tutored Video Instruction (TVI) Video (English Only)
Facilitator Guide and Mentor-Coach Manual
Each unit of the Facilitator Guide and Mentor-Coach Manual is divided into modules. To review the materials, select any Facilitator Guide or Mentor-Coach Manual link below.
UNIT 1: Building Relationships to Promote Child Literacy Outcomes
UNIT 2: Observation of Staff and Analysis
UNIT 3: Reflective Practice
UNIT 4: Using Child Assessment Information to Guide Instruction
*Includes Tutored-Video Instruction (TVI)
Steps to Success: An Instructional Design for Early Literacy Mentor-Coaches in Head Start and Early Head Start. HHS/ACF/ACYF/HSB. 2005. English.
Last Reviewed: December 2009
Last Updated: February 14, 2011