Office of Head Start Monitoring Reviews
The Office of Head Start's FY 2014 Head Start Monitoring Protocol is an important tool used to gather data during on-site reviews. The Protocol measures seven areas of grantee performance and contains key indicators that are used to assess each grantee. Performance areas are centered around select Head Start Program Performance Standards, Head Start Act citations, and fiscal regulations. All performance areas include a series of key indicators, compliance measures, and targeted questions to consider that are used by the Monitoring Review Team to better evaluate each grantee.
FY 2014 On-Site Review Protocol
FY 2014 Office of Head Start Monitoring Protocol [PDF, 845KB]
FY 2014 Grantee Webcast Slides [PDF, 934KB]
FY 2014 On-Site Review Guides
FY 2014 Monitoring Guides to accompany the Protocol have been developed to better organize the evidence gathering process. The evidence collected through each guide is linked to key indicators and compliance measures within the Protocol. The guides are organized by reviewer roles and evidence collection methods.
- Management Systems (SYS) and Program Governance (GOV)
Guides [PDF, 631KB]
- Fiscal Integrity (FIS) Guides [PDF, 725KB]
- Family and Community Engagement (FCE) and Eligibility, Recruitment, Selection, Enrollment, and Attendance (ERSEA) Guides [PDF, 633KB]
- Child Health and Safety (CHS) Guides [PDF, 660KB]
- Child Development and Education (CDE) Guides [PDF, 690KB]
- Review Team Meeting Guide [PDF, 518KB]
- Child and Staff File Guide [PDF, 537KB]
Part of a Monitoring Team? Need Help?
Contact the HSES Help Desk for HSES or monitoring workspace login issues 1-866-771-4737
Contact HSICC for other ECLKC login issues 1-866-763-6481.
Contact Software Support for monitoring software (OHSMS) issues 1-800-518-1932.
Danya International Inc. is
seeking Bilingual Spanish and American Indian and Alaska Native (AIAN) Head Start reviewer consultants. To learn more, visit the applicant website at http://www.Danya.com/
Additional Resources and Tools
- 2014 CLASSTM Field Guide [PDF, 733KB]
- AIAN Resource: A Guide to Building Cultural Awareness [PDF, 1.1MB]
- Certification of Health and Safety Screening
- FY 2013 Office of Head Start Monitoring Protocol & Guides
- Head Start Bilingual Glossary
- Head Start Key Indicators (HSKI) Screener Grantee Audio Conference
- Health and Safety Screener
- Monitoring AIAN Programs: Understanding Our Communities
- OHS Monitoring for EHS Home-Based Program Option
- Program Information Report
- Regulations and Policies
- Roadmap to Excellence
- School Readiness Agenda
- Training and Technical Assistance System
- Use of Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS) in Head Start
FY 2014 Office of Head Start On-Site Review Protocol. HHS/ACF/OHS. 2013. English.
Last Reviewed: December 2013
Last Updated: March 28, 2014