The 1995 Family Income Guidelines
NOTICE: This Issuance has been withdrawn or superseded. It is provided for historical reference only and has no current applicability or effect.
Administration for Children and Families
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Administration on Children, Youth and Families
1. Log No. ACYF-IM-HS-95-14
2. Issuance Date: 03/20/95
3. Originating Office: Head Start Bureau
4. Key Words: Income Guidelines
TO: All Head Start Grantees and Delegate Agencies
SUBJECT: The 1995 Family Income Guidelines
Section 645 of the Head Start Act (42 U.S.C. 9840) establishes income eligibility for participation in Head Start programs by reference to the official poverty line, adjusted annually in accordance with changes in the Consumer Price Index. The attached 1995 Family Income Guidelines reflect recently revised poverty data and must be used to determine Head Start eligibility for low income families.
The definition of "income," printed on the back of the attached income guidelines, is derived from the U.S. Bureau of the Census, Current Population Reports, Series P-60-185 and earlier reports in the same series. It provides a more detailed explanation of the term "income" than is found in 45 CFR 1305.2(i). The definition of "family" to be used in determining eligibility is found in 45 CFR 1305.2(e) which defines family as all persons living in the same household who are:
Supported by the income of the parent(s) or guardian(s) of the child enrolling or participating in the program, and (2) related to the parent(s) or guardian(s) by blood, marriage or adoption.
This Memorandum replaces ACYF-IM-94-04.
Questions about the Income Guidelines should be addressed to your ACF Regional Office or the American Indian or Migrant Programs Branches.
Helen H. Taylor
Head Start Bureau
CC: Regional Administrators, ACF, Regions I-X
American Indian and Migrant Programs Branches
The 1995 Family Income Guidelines. ACYF-IM-HS-95-14. HHS/ACF/ACYF/HSB. 1995. English.
This is a Historical Document.
- IM-95-01 Publication of the Head Start Automation Manual
- IM-95-02 Developing a Head Start Training Plan
- IM-95-03 Head Start Family Information System Volunteers
- IM-95-06 Head Start Facilities Manual
- IM-95-07 Choosing Wellness (Comprehensive Health Education and Health Promotion Package)
- IM-95-08 A Substance Abuse Training Package for Helping Children Affected by Substance Abuse
- IM-95-12 Possible Limitation on Amount of Allowable Child Placement Services, Administrative Expenditures and Training Costs Reimbursable Under Title IV-E in and for Federal Fiscal Year (FY) 1995
- IM-95-13 Announcement of Availability of Funds for Early Head Start
- IM-95-14 The 1995 Family Income Guidelines
- IM-95-15 Assuring that Head Start Programs Provide High Quality Services
- IM-95-16 Head Start Program Information Report (PIR) for 1994-1995 Program Operating Year
- IM-95-17 Adult Hepatitis B Vaccine
- IM-95-18 Celebration of Head Start's 30th Anniversary
- IM-95-19 Materials for Smoke-Free Environments
- IM-95-20 Program Announcement for Comprehensive Early Childhood Demonstration Projects
- IM-95-21 JOBS/Head Start Coordination Efforts
- IM-95-22 1995 Directory of Head Start Programs--and Head Start Mailing List
- IM-95-23 Spanish Translation of Final Rule on Head Start Services for Children with Disabilities, 45 CFR Parts 1304, 1305, and 1308
- IM-95-24 EPSDT Guide
- IM-95-25 Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Head Start Transportation Safety
- IM-95-26 Announcement of the Fiscal Year 1995 Discretionary Announcement for Head Start Research Projects and Program Projects; Availability of Funds and Request for Applications
- IM-95-27 Reimbursement for Services, Including Medicaid and Child Care, for Head Start Children and Families
- IM-95-29 Automatic Head Start Eligibility under the National School Lunch Act
- IM-95-30 Head Start-State Collaboration Projects
- IM-95-31 National New Head Start Directors Conference
- IM-95-33 Publication of Four Training Guides
- IM-95-34 Head Start-Johnson & Johnson Management Fellows Program at the University of California at Los Angeles
- IM-95-35 Opportunity to Comment on Proposed Amendments to 45 CFR Part 1305 - Eligibility, Recruitment, Selection, Enrollment and Attendance in Head Start
- IM-95-36 Early Head Start Grant Award
- IM-95-37 Drug and Alcohol Testing Requirements for Head Start Drivers