I Am Moving I Am Learning
OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Administration for Children and Families
1. Log No. ACF-IM-HS-08-13
2. Issuance Date: 08/26/2008
3. Originating Office: Office of Head Start
4. Key Words: I Am Moving I Am Learning
TO: Head Start and Early Head Start Grantees and Delegate Agencies
SUBJECT: I Am Moving I Am Learning
The Office of Head Start is pleased to
announce Phase II of the national initiative to improve children’s
health, nutrition, learning readiness, and overall well-being
through I Am Moving I Am Learning. Head Start grantees are invited to participate in Phase II IMIL training. This
two-and-a-half-day session is open to those grantees who have not
received the two-and-a-half-day Phase I training.
OHS is renewing its commitment to support this initiative by providing strategies and resources for infusing quality physical movement and healthy nutrition choices within grantee programs. A key feature of IMIL is the flexibility it affords programs to tailor and individualize strategies and activities to meet local program needs.
Once again, grantees from each region will be invited to have a team of five staff members (managers and a parent lead if possible) from their program participate in this research-to-practice approach for preventing and reversing childhood obesity in Head Start children. Training for Phase II IMIL will be delivered by qualified regional facilitators who recently participated as a team in “Training of Facilitators." Trainers for Phase II IMIL will be using a carefully developed curriculum which will include DVDs of the original core IMIL training team. The training is interactive, high energy and designed to have maximum impact. Several trainings may be offered in each region.
OHS is committed to reimbursing half the cost (50 percent) of grantee expenses as they did in Phase I for attending the two-and-a-half-day training. Grantees who elect an alternative nutrition and physical development initiative may apply for up to 50 percent reimbursement of comparable costs. Grantees pursuing this alternative initiative must have Regional Office approval in advance of submitting a Supplemental Funding Request.
Additional information from the OHS Regional Office and TA Networks is forthcoming.
Thank you again for all you are doing to champion the Head Start movement to improve children’s health and support holistic child development.
Office of Head Start
See PDF version:
I Am Moving I Am Learning [PDF, 51KB]
I Am Moving I Am Learning. ACF-IM-HS-08-13. HHS/ACF/OHS. 2008. English.
This is a Historical Document.
- IM 08-22 A Head Start on Picturing America
- IM-08-21 The Importance of Teacher-Child Relationships in Head Start
- IM 08-20 Vision Screening Resources
- IM 08-19 Automatic Eligibility for Free Meal Benefits Extended to All Children Enrolled In Head Start
- IM 08-18 Memorandum of Understanding with Local Entity Responsible for Managing Publicly Funded Preschool Programs
- IM 08-17 Dual Language Institute – Funding Support
- IM 08-15 Distribution of Public Alert Radios to Head Start Programs
- IM 08-14 Invitation to the Office of Head Start National Dual Language Institute: A Time for Action
- IM 08-13 I Am Moving I Am Learning
- IM 08-12 Statutory Degree and Credentialing Requirements for Head Start Teaching Staff
- IM 08-11 Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS)
- IM 08-09 Availability of FY 2008 One-time Training and Technical Assistance Funding
- IM 08-08 Partnership with the Environmental Protection Agency
- IM 08-07 Lead Screening
- IM 08-06 Head Start Risk Management Process
- IM-08-03 Head Start Reauthorization: Two new provisions
- IM 08-02 Availability of Resources in Spanish on the Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center
- IM 08-01 Head Start Reauthorization: P.L. 110-134