Parent, Family, and Community Engagement (PFCE) Framework
The Parent, Family, and Community Engagement (PFCE) Framework is a road map for progress in achieving the kinds of outcomes that lead to positive and enduring change for children and families. It is a research-based approach that shows how a program can work together across systems and service areas to promote parent and family engagement and children's learning development.
- Parent, Family, and Community Engagement Framework English [PDF, 1.06MB] and Spanish [PDF, 1.6MB]
- PFCE Framework Webinar Series
- Family Engagement as Parent Involvement 2.0
- Parent, Family, and Community Engagement Resource Catalog [PDF, 2.31MB]
- Frequently Asked Questions: PFCE Framework
- Parent, Family, and Community Engagement Certificate [PDF, 56KB]
Assessment Tools and Resources
Recognize and improve your program's accomplishments in engaging parents, families, and the community. Move toward systemic, integrated and comprehensive approaches that have a strong potential for meeting family and child outcomes.
- Bringing the PFCE Framework to Your Program: Beginning a Self-Assessment [PDF, 8.82MB]
- Using the Head Start PFCE Framework in Your Program: Markers of Progress English [PDF, 5.39MB], Spanish [PDF, 15MB], text version [PDF, 641KB], and digital version.
- Using the Head Start PFCE Framework in your Program: Digital Markers of Progress
- Putting the PFCE Framework to Work in Your Program: Integrating Strategies for Program Progress (ISPP) Part I English [PDF, 1.17MB], Spanish [PDF, 1MB], and a Fillable Form [PDF, 1.7MB]
- Integrating Strategies for Program Progress (ISPP) Part II English and Spanish
Build and practice every-day strategies to develop positive, goal-directed relationships with families. Enhance partnerships between program staff and parents that establish ongoing communication, enhance teacher-child and parent-child relationships, and help prepare children and families for transitions to later schooling.
- Fall to Fall Series: Advancing Family Engagement through Professional Development in Family Services
- Head Start and Early Head Start Relationship-Based Competencies English [PDF, 1.34MB] Spanish [PDF, 1.9MB]
- Family Engagement and Ongoing Child Assessment English [PDF, 2.2MB] and Spanish [PDF, 2.KB]
- PFCE Simulation: Boosting School Readiness through Effective Family Engagement
NEW! Please join NCPFCE for a lively webinar series about strengthening PFCE in your Head Start and Early Head Start (HS/EHS) programs.
NEW! Track your program's progress around PFCE goals using this new digital assessment tool.
NEW! Positive parent-child relationships provide the foundation for children's learning. Root your program strategies in research around the best ways to strengthen these relationships. This is the first in a new series featuring the family outcomes of the PFCE Framework. [PDF, 1.14MB]
Events & Conferences
- Office of Head Start 2nd National Birth to Five Leadership Institute
National Harbor, MD
April 28 -
- National Head Start Association Conference
National Harbor, MD
May 1 -
About the National Center on Parent, Family, and Community Engagement [PDF, 606KB] describes the philosophy and role of PFCE in working to enhance the positive development of children from birth to 5 and to strengthen Head Start and Early Head Start families and communities. Spanish [PDF, 110KB]
Send your questions and requests to ncpfce at childrens dot harvard dot edu or call 1-855-208-0909 (toll-free) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET).
Last Updated: May 8, 2013