Hurricane Sandy Response and Recovery
These materials have been compiled to provide resources to Head Start programs and parents in supporting the children and families in areas disrupted by Hurricane Sandy. Programs play a critical role in providing stability, safety, nurturing, and access to resources. Find information on the Office of Head Start's recovery efforts in ACF-IM-HS-12-06 (English and Spanish) and ACF-IM-HS-12-07 (English and Spanish).
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping'." ― Fred Rogers
Social Emotional Support for Children
Maintain your daily routine. Be available. Be flexible and patient. Avoid too much news media coverage. Take care of yourself.
- Young Children and Disasters [PDF, 145KB]. California Childcare Health Program. 2004.
- Tips for Talking to Children After a Disaster: A Guide for Parents and Teachers [PDF, 320KB]. SAMHSA. 2005.
- After a Disaster: Helping Young Children Heal [PDF, 107KB]. National Child Traumatic Stress Network. 2005.
- Little Listeners in an Uncertain World: Providing Safety and Support through Community Trauma. HHS/ACF/OHS/EHSNRC. 2006. Streaming Audio. 01:33:22.
- News You Can Use: Disaster Readiness and Response For Families with Young Children. HHS/ACF/OHS/EHSNRC. 2006.
- Talking with Your Child About Natural Disasters. Child Care Aware. 2011.
- Caring for Children After a Disaster. [PDF, 154KB]. HHS/ACF/OHS and OCC. 2012.
- Disaster Resources: Helping Families and Children Cope With Traumatic Events. Child Care Aware. Nov. 5, 2012.
- Keeping Children Safe in Sandy's Wake. Chung, Sarita, M.D. FEMA. 2012.
Social Emotional Support for Adults
Disaster Recovery for Families
- Access to Disaster Help and Resources. DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Emergency Preparedness and Response: Pregnant Women and Newborns. CDC.
- Financial Assistance. FEMA.
- Food Banks. Feeding America.
- Keep Food and Water Safe After a Disaster or Emergency. CDC.
- Shelter. American Red Cross.
- Emergency Salvage of Flood Damaged Family Papers. NARA. 2009.
- Guidelines to Saving Family Treasures. NARA. 2009.
Disaster Recovery for Head Start Programs
- Head Start Emergency Preparedness Manual, Chapter V [PDF, 809KB]. HHS/ACF/OHS. 2009.
- Rebuilding or Relocating Your Child Care Facility? Diaster Assistance Might be Available for You! [PDF, 184KB]. Child Care Aware. Child Care Aware of America
- Child Care Resources for Disasters and Emergencies. HHS/ACF/OCC.
Last Reviewed: November 2012
Last Updated: December 13, 2012