Framework for Effective Practice:
Highly Individualized Teaching and Learning
Young children vary widely in their skills, knowledge, backgrounds and abilities. Effective teaching for all children requires individualized teaching and learning opportunities to access, participate, and thrive in the preschool classroom.
Individualizing instruction helps ensure effective teaching and learning for all children across the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework domains.
Use the table below to explore key aspects of highly individualized teaching and learning. Before you begin, learn more by viewing Highly Individualized Teaching and Learning: An Overview 15-minute in-service suite.
These resources can help to identify best practices in highly individualized teaching and learning to support child outcomes and school readiness goals.
- Head Start Disabilities Services Newsletters
- Social and Emotional Development
- Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention for Young Children
- Head Start Center for Inclusion: Inclusion Basics
- Head Start Center for Inclusion 15-Minute In-service: Individualizing
- Classroom Visuals and Supports
- Social Stories
Last Reviewed: July 2015
Last Updated: September 10, 2015