The Office of Head Start has established national priorities that guide Head Start Collaboration Office's work plans. Find priority-specific information by selecting the boxes below.
Partner with state child care systems emphasizing the Early Head Start-Child Care (EHS-CC) Partnership Initiatives
The EHS-CC Partnerships require a strong relationship between the Head Start Collaboration Office and the Child Care Development Fund (CCDF) Administration Offices. These and other partnerships work with child care help support access to quality early care and education programs for all families with low incomes, as well as access to more comprehensive services.
- Early Childhood Systems Working Group
- Early Childhood Systems Building
- Head Start Facilities Report Fiscal Year 2015
- The Untapped Potential of an Early Childhood Assessment System: A Strategy for Improving Policies and Instruction from Early Childhood through 3rd Grade [PDF, 365KB]
- NGA: Education and Workforce Committee
- Cross System Collaboration: A Fresh Look at Working Together
- Promoting Local Partnerships Between Child Care and Early Head Start: Ideas for State Leaders
- Staffed Family Child Care Networks: A Strategy to Enhance Quality Care for Infants and Toddlers [PDF, 412KB]
- Early Progress: State Child Care Assistance Policies 2019 [PDF 2.28MB]
Work with state efforts to collect data regarding early childhood programs and child outcomes
State policymakers need to establish policies, practices, and structures that ensure appropriate access to data. They also must help stakeholders use data effectively to guide decision-making around early childhood education (ECE) systems. As a stakeholder in state ECE systems, Head Start can help support and provide valuable input and data for a well-coordinated ECE data system that can feed into a national data system.
- Parents and the High Cost of Child Care: 2013 Report [PDF, 1.7MB]
- Child Care State Fact Sheets
- Linking Head Start Data with State Early Care and Education Coordinated Data Systems [PDF, 793KB]
- 2013 State of States’ Early Childhood Data Systems [PDF, 1.8MB]
Support the expansion and access of high quality, workforce and career development opportunities for staff
Work with state professional development systems and institutions of higher education to promote expansion and high quality career development opportunities. This allows clear cut access for early childhood providers to meet degree and credentialing requirements.
- A Guide to Effective Consultation with Settings Serving Infants, Toddlers, and their Families: Core Knowledge, Competencies, and Dispositions [PDF, 2.9MB]
- Early Child Care and Education: HHS and Education Are Taking Steps to Improve Workforce Data and Enhance Worker Quality
- Number and Characteristics of Early Care and Education (ECE) Teachers and Caregivers: Initial Findings from the National Survey of Early Care and Education (NSECE) [PDF, 994KB]
Collaboration with State Quality Rating Improvement Systems (QRIS)
Work toward aligning the Head Start Program Performance Standards with state efforts to rate and improve the quality of programs through Quality Rating and Improvement Systems (QRIS). Support Head Start program use of QRIS and partnering with child care and early childhood systems at the local level.This also provides a foundation to look at how Head Start, QRIS and state licensing align for a stronger ECE state system.
- A Practical Outreach Guide for a Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS)
- A Count for Quality: Child Care Center Directors on Rating and Improvement Systems [PDF, 3.1MB]
- QRIS National Learning Network
- State Resource Library
- QRIS State Contacts & Map
Work with state school systems to ensure continuity between Head Start and Kindergarten Entrance Assessment (KEA)
Foster seamless transitions and long-term success of Head Start children. Promote continuity of services between the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework and state early learning standards. Include pre-k entry assessment and interoperable data systems.
- The Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center: Improving Systems, Practices and Outcomes
- Child Care Fact Sheet: High-Quality Prekindergarten Is a Wise Investment [PDF, 158KB]
More Resources on the ECLKC
Last Updated: May 12, 2020