This component of the Toolkit contains exercises intended for use by managers and education coordinators in training sessions with teachers. These exercises provide teachers the opportunity to reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of varied observational assessment techniques that can be used throughout the year to build on what is learned in the periodic assessments conducted to meet federal requirements.
About the Guided Practices
- All of the exercises have the same format and all have accompanying slide presentations and handouts.
- Exercise content varies widely in terms of the type of child outcome being assessed, the documentation technique employed, and the complexity of the exercise.
- Exercises vary in length from 15 to 40 minutes.
- Exercises work best with small groups but can be adapted for larger groups.
- We have organized the Guided Practices by the type of documentation technique(s) featured in each exercise. If there is more than one technique explored in a particular Guided Practice, the additional techniques are noted in parentheses next to the guided practice.
- Anecdotal Records
- Event Sampling
- Running Record
- Tally Sheet
- Time Sampling
- Verbal Vignette
- Work Samples
- Writing Samples
- Work Samples with Dictation
Resource Type: Article
Last Updated: June 8, 2018