This summary provides an introduction to book knowledge and print concepts—important precursors to reading and writing. Explore research around why book knowledge and print concepts matter and the roles language and culture play. Find out how to use books and discover the types of children’s books that are available. This resource includes examples of effective practices at different stages of children’s development in various early learning settings.
- The Big Picture: Book Knowledge and Print Concepts
- Strategies for Parents and Families: How Parents and Families Support Book Knowledge and Print Concepts
- Strategies for Caregivers and Teachers: How Caregivers and Teachers Support Book Knowledge and Print Concepts
- Joan Talks about the Big 5: Book Knowledge and Print Concepts
- Tip Sheet: Developing and Using Book Knowledge and Print Concepts
Review Exploring Joan Talks: A Resource Guide for Training and Technical Assistance Providers when using Joan Talks about the Big 5 to help Head Start and child care programs implement a PLA.
Last Updated: January 18, 2019