In this summary, explore an introduction to oral language and vocabulary—the foundation of early language and literacy development. Learn about the role culture plays in language learning. Also, explore six research-based principles to guide language learning at home and in a group care setting. This resource includes examples of effective practices at different stages of children’s development in various early learning settings.
- The Big Picture: Oral Language and Vocabulary
- Strategies for Parents and Families: How Parents and Families Support Oral Language and Vocabulary
- Strategies for Caregivers and Teachers: How Caregivers and Teachers Support Oral Language and Vocabulary
- Joan Talks about the Big 5: Oral Language and Vocabulary
- Tip Sheet: Supporting Oral Language and Vocabulary Development
Review Exploring Joan Talks: A Resource Guide for Training and Technical Assistance Providers when using Joan Talks about the Big 5 to help Head Start and child care programs implement a PLA.
Last Updated: January 18, 2019