Explore this introduction to phonological awareness—a key element of early language and literacy development. Learn the important role of language and how playing with language can be both meaningful and fun. Find out how children develop phonological awareness in English as they learn to recognize that language can be broken into words, syllables, and smaller sounds. This resource includes examples of effective practices at different stages of children’s development in various early learning settings.
- The Big Picture: Phonological Awareness
- Strategies for Parents and Families: How Parents and Families Support Phonological Awareness
- Strategies for Caregivers and Teachers: How Caregivers and Teachers Support Phonological Awareness
- Joan Talks about the Big 5: Phonological Awareness
- Tip Sheet: Developing Phonological Awareness
Review Exploring Joan Talks: A Resource Guide for Training and Technical Assistance Providers when using Joan Talks about the Big 5 to help Head Start and child care programs implement a PLA.
Last Updated: January 18, 2019