The Office of Head Start (OHS) Program Information Report (PIR) provides comprehensive data on the services, staff, children, and families served by Head Start and Early Head Start programs nationwide. All grantees and delegates are required to submit PIR for Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
The following advance copy of the 2020–2021 PIR contains major changes to numerous sections of the PIR form. OHS is releasing this advance copy for programs and developers to prepare for systematic changes in anticipation of these changes.
2019–2020 PIR Collection Documents
The 2019–2020 PIR questions have remained the same as they were in the 2018–2019 PIR.
- 2019–2020 PIR Form (posted January 2020)
- 2019–2020 PIR Change Highlights (posted January 2020)
- 2019–2020 PIR Performance Indicator Formulas (posted January 2020)
- 2019–2020 PIR XML Import Format (posted January 2020)
- 2019–2020 PIR Document Revision History (posted January 2020)
- Program Information Report (PIR): Frequently Asked Questions
Services Snapshots summarize annual PIR data. National Services Snapshots are available to download here:
- All Programs (2018–2019)
- American Indian and Alaska Native (AIAN) All Programs (2018–2019)
- Early Head Start Services Snapshot (2018–2019)
- Head Start Services Snapshot (2018–2019)
- Migrant and Seasonal Head Start (MSHS) All Programs (2018–2019)
If you are interested in a Services Snapshot for a program near you, use the Program Service Reports search tool.
Access to PIR Data
The PIR is an important source of descriptive and service data for the Head Start community, their partners, Congress, and for the general public. PIR data is compiled for use at the federal, regional, state, and local levels.
The full PIR data set, prior year reports, and PIR forms are available to the public on request.
Contact the Head Start Enterprise System (HSES) help desk to request access.
HSES help desk
Toll Free: 866-771-4737 Local: 571-429-4858
Hours of Operation:
Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–7 p.m. ET (excluding federal holidays and weather-related federal office closures)
Current HSES users have access to the full PIR data set in HSES via the Reports tab at https://hses.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/pir/.
Last Updated: January 28, 2020