The Office of Head Start (OHS) Program Information Report (PIR) provides comprehensive data on the services, staff, children, and families served by Head Start and Early Head Start programs nationwide. All grant recipients and delegates are required to submit a PIR for Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
Advance Copy: 2022–2023 PIR Collection Documents
- 2022–2023 PIR Form Version 1.0 (posted July 2022)
- 2022–2023 PIR Change Highlights Version 1.0 (posted July 2022)
2022-2023 PIR Advance Copy Change Summary
- Primary type of eligibility question A.13.b, Public Assistance, has been updated to include TANF, SSI, and SNAP.
- Attendance questions A.22 and A.23 will be collected for the 2022-2023 PIR.
- Unspecified ethnicity and race questions A.25.h and B.13.h have been separated as single questions to include either unspecified ethnicity or unspecified race. They will not have a separate count by origin, similar to questions A.25.a-A.25.g and B.13.a-B.13.g.
- Medical Services question C.7 has been split into two independent questions, C.7 and C.8. The questions in C.8 are the chronic condition questions formerly in C.7.a and C.7.b, independent of being up-to-date on EPSDT schedules in C.7. As a result, the remainder of Section C has been renumbered from C.8-C.50 to C.9-C.51.
- D.6 and D.7 Formal Agreements for Collaboration have been revised to count the number of partners or agencies versus the number of agreements. D.8 has been added for formal agreements with Part C agencies.
2021–2022 PIR Collection Documents
- 2021–2022 PIR Form Version 1.0 (posted March 2022)
- 2021–2022 PIR Change Highlights Version 1.0 (posted March 2022)
2021-2022 PIR Change Summary
- Attendance questions A.22 and A.23 are placeholders; there is no data required for the 2021–2022 PIR.
- Questions B.11, Average Salary, and B.12, Classroom Teacher Salary, have switched order.
- Question, B.17.C, has been added to Education and Child Development Staff Turnover to identify the number of teachers who left the program in turnover.
- A list of titles has been added in a dropdown look-up for question C.30.e, Parenting Curriculum for Building on the Parents' Knowledge and Skill.
Services Snapshots summarize annual PIR data. National Services Snapshots are available to download here:
- All Programs (2021–2022)
- American Indian and Alaska Native (AIAN) All Programs (2021–2022)
- Early Head Start Services Snapshot (2021–2022)
- Head Start Services Snapshot (2021–2022)
- Migrant and Seasonal Head Start (MSHS) All Programs (2021 –2022)
If you are interested in a Services Snapshot for a program near you, use the Agency Service Profile search tool. After finding the grant recipient using the tool, select "grantee profile" and then "retrieve reports."
Access to PIR Data
The PIR is an important source of descriptive and service data for the Head Start community, their partners, Congress, and for the general public. PIR data is compiled for use at the federal, regional, state, and local levels.
The full PIR data set, prior year reports, and PIR forms are available to the public on request.
Contact the Head Start Enterprise System (HSES) help desk to request access.
HSES Help Desk
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. ET (excluding federal holidays and weather-related federal office closures)
Current HSES users have access to the full PIR data set via the Reports tab at https://hses.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/auth/login.
Resource Type: Article
National Centers: Office of Head Start
Last Updated: October 6, 2022