The Office of Head Start (OHS) Program Information Report (PIR) provides comprehensive data on the services, staff, children, and families served by Head Start and Early Head Start programs nationwide. All grantees and delegates are required to submit PIR for Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
OHS is not considering changes to the 2018–2019 PIR. In April 2018, OHS requested public comment on proposed changes to the PIR. We greatly appreciate the comments received. The proposed changes are currently under review. Once finalized, the new collection will need Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval under the Paperwork Reduction Act. OHS is currently projecting that the changes will be in included in the 2019–2020 PIR and will be publicly available in early 2019. Please do not make major systematic changes in preparation for the new PIR until such changes are final.
2017–2018 PIR Collection Documents
- 2017–2018 PIR Form (posted June 2018)
- 2017–2018 PIR Change Highlights (posted June 2018)
- 2017–2018 PIR Performance Indicator Formulas (posted June 2018)
- 2017–2018 PIR XML Import Format (posted June 2018)
- 2017–2018 PIR Document Revision History (posted June 2018)
- Program Information Report (PIR): Frequently Asked Questions
Services Snapshots summarize annual PIR data. National Services Snapshots are available to download here:
- All Programs (2016–2017)
- American Indian and Alaska Native (AIAN) All Programs (2016–2017)
- Early Head Start Services Snapshot (2016–2017)
- Head Start Services Snapshot (2016–2017)
- Migrant and Seasonal Head Start (MSHS) All Programs (2016–2017)
If you are interested in a Services Snapshot for a program near you, use the Program Service Reports search tool.
Access to PIR Data
The PIR is an important source of descriptive and service data for the Head Start community, their partners, Congress, and for the general public. PIR data is compiled for use at the federal, regional, state, and local levels.
The full PIR data set, prior year reports, and PIR forms are available to the public on request.
Contact the Head Start Enterprise System (HSES) help desk to request access.
HSES help desk
Toll Free: 1-866-771-4737 Local: 571-429-4858
Hours of Operation:
Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–7 p.m. ET (excluding federal holidays and weather-related federal office closures)
Current HSES users have access to the full PIR data set in HSES via the Reports tab at https://hses.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/pir/.
Last Updated: September 19, 2018