The Office of Head Start (OHS) Program Information Report (PIR) provides comprehensive data on the services, staff, children, and families served by Head Start and Early Head Start programs nationwide. All grantees and delegates are required to submit PIR for Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
Changes to the PIR
OHS is carefully considering changes to the PIR to better align with the revised Head Start Program Performance Standards while reducing reporting burden and modernizing the data collection. OHS requested public comment on proposed changes and the comment period closed on April 6, 2018, and we greatly appreciate the comments received. The proposed changes may undergo significant revision based on the volume and quality of comments received and any changes would still need to go through full Office of Management and Budget clearance process under the Paperwork Reduction Act. Please do not make major systematic changes in preparation for changes to the PIR until they are made final.
2017–2018 PIR Collection Documents
- 2017–2018 PIR Form (posted June 2018)
- 2017–2018 PIR Change Highlights (posted June 2018)
- 2017–2018 PIR Performance Indicator Formulas (posted June 2018)
- 2017–2018 PIR XML Import Format (posted June 2018)
- 2017–2018 PIR Document Revision History (posted June 2018)
- Program Information Report (PIR): Frequently Asked Questions
Services Snapshots summarize annual PIR data. National Services Snapshots are available to download here:
- All Programs (2016–2017)
- American Indian and Alaska Native (AIAN) All Programs (2016–2017)
- Early Head Start Services Snapshot (2016–2017)
- Head Start Services Snapshot (2016–2017)
- Migrant and Seasonal Head Start (MSHS) All Programs (2016–2017)
If you are interested in a Services Snapshot for a program near you, use the Program Service Reports search tool.
Access to PIR Data
The PIR is an important source of descriptive and service data for the Head Start community, their partners, Congress, and for the general public. PIR data is compiled for use at the federal, regional, state, and local levels.
The full PIR data set, prior year reports, and PIR forms are available to the public on request.
Contact the Head Start Enterprise System (HSES) help desk to request access.
HSES help desk
Toll Free: 1-866-771-4737 Local: 571-429-4858
Hours of Operation:
Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–7 p.m. ET (excluding federal holidays and weather-related federal office closures)
Current HSES users have access to the full PIR data set in HSES via the Reports tab at https://hses.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/pir/.
Last Updated: July 16, 2018