The community assessment provides a starting point for Head Start programs to understand community strengths and identify gaps in services to mobilize necessary resources. When used in conjunction with other program data, the community assessment informs program planning and can help to ensure equity.
Questions for Consideration
- What changes have occurred in your community during the past year that may affect ERSEA strategies?
- How can your program better understand the history and background of the communities being served?
- How have discrimination, historical oppression, or trauma affected the populations you serve?
- How do you ensure that families are involved in the community assessment process?
- Do families find themselves reflected in the community assessment? Do they agree with the results?
- How can you ensure data collected are from reliable sources that reflect the current population and activity of the community?
- How do you ensure that the data are disaggregated to provide a more complete context for its meaning?
Resource Type: Article
National Centers: Parent, Family and Community Engagement
Last Updated: December 16, 2022