Fiscal managers lead the school readiness team in ensuring the alignment of resource allocation with program and school readiness goals. They provide integral information for the team to assess the feasibility of planned strategies, including professional development and materials and equipment.
Steps to School Readiness
- Understand the Head Start Approach to School Readiness [PDF, 915KB] and its implications for fiscal management.
- Use the Leader's Role in School Readiness session from the Learning for New Leaders: Head Start A to Z series to help clarify the relationship between school readiness and program goals.
- Work with all stakeholders – particularly the governing body, director, and other senior managers – in establishing program and fiscal goals that line up with school readiness goals.
- Understand fiscal management's role and relationship to all the other Head Start management systems.
Planning and Implementation
- Budget for resources needed to meet goals, including professional development opportunities, parent engagement activities, and materials, equipment, and technology.
- Use the Leader's Role in School Readiness session from the Learning for New Leaders: Head Start A to Z to understand how the 10 Head Start management systems support school readiness.
- Understand the Head Start planning cycle process and fiscal’s role in planning, ongoing monitoring, and self-assessment.
- Establish financial controls to ensure that the Head Start Program Performance Standards and other regulations are being followed and costs are tracked.
Assessing and Aggregating
- Provide the director and governing body with up-to-date financials to help them assess progress towards achieving program and school readiness goals, and to help them to make decisions and changes to course of action when needed.
- Stay up-to-date on any data collected and mid-course corrections made at the program level to ensure that the budget is adapted when possible and necessary.
- Understand and support the strong relationship between sound business management practices and quality services for children and family served.
- Head Start Approach to School Readiness [PDF, 1MB]
- Leader's Role in School Readiness — Learning for New Leaders: Head Start A to Z (Note: This resource under review)
- Program Level School Readiness Goals for Early Childhood Programs: Examples from the National Center on Early Childhood Development, Teaching, and Learning (NCECDTL)
- Improving School Readiness and Promoting Long-Term Success: The Head Start Roadmap to Excellence [PDF, 251KB]
- Part 1304 Subpart B – Designation Renewal
- PFCE Framework Webinar Series: Understanding How Program Foundations Work Together to Strengthen Parent, Family, and Community Engagement
Stories from the Field
Last Reviewed: December 2016
Last Updated: December 15, 2016