Cost Estimation Tool for Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership Services
Layering Early Head Start Services and Funds with Child Care
The Cost Estimation Tool for Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership (EHS-CCP) Services is designed to help EHS-CCP grantees and their child care partners plan for the cost of delivering comprehensive Early Head Start (EHS) services to children enrolled in child care homes and centers.
Before using the tool, you may want to print the report that you can generate after you’ve identified the type of service your partner offers. This will show you the data you’ll need to gather prior to completing the tool.
It provides a step-by-step process for identifying relevant costs and resources that support the implementation of an EHS-CCP.
It is important to note that there are a variety of methods and resources available to help programs estimate the costs of high quality early care and education. Related services and programs should choose whatever method works best for their individual needs and context.
The Cost Estimation Tool will help EHS-CCP grantees identify:
- Child care services currently offered and compare them to determine additional costs for your partner to extend the day and year to ensure full-time services (up to 10 hours per day/48 weeks per year) (Layer One)
- Current child care revenue that covers those costs and consider other sources of revenue that can support EHS-CCP services
- Types of program enhancements and estimate the costs your partner will likely incur to meet EHS standards
- Costs your partner will incur to fulfill responsibilities for providing individual child and family services to meet EHS standards (Layer Three)
- The Cost Estimation Tool for EHS-CCP Services: Text Version [PDF, 498KB] | Webinar
- Helpful Tips for Using the Cost Estimation Tool [PDF, 127KB]
- Funding and Payments [PDF, 250KB]
- Layering Services and Funds in EHS-CCP: Frequently Asked Questions [PDF, 309KB]
For those interested in other cost estimation tools and the broader topic of early care and education financing, see the resources below.
- Cost Modeling in Early Care and Education
- Provider Cost of Quality Calculator
- Professional Development System Cost Analysis Tool
- Professional Development System Cost Analysis Tool Guide and Case Studies [PDF, 998KB]
- Financing High-Quality Center-Based Infant-Toddler Care: Options and Opportunities [PDF, 920KB]
- Financing and Budgeting for Early Care and Education Facilities Guidebook
- Assessing the Implementation and Cost of High Quality Early Care and Education Project (ECE-ICHQ), 2014-2019
- Using Metrics to Drive Quality and Sustainability in Early Care and Education Programs [PDF, 679KB]
Cost Estimation Tool for Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership Services. Layering Early Head Start Services and Funds with Child Care. HHS/ACF/OCC/NCCCSIA. English. 2016.
Last Reviewed: September 2016
Last Updated: September 7, 2016