Regulations and Standards
Navigating child care and Early Head Start policies and regulations, and understanding the implications to ensure successful partnerships
Early Head Start (EHS) and child care programs each must follow a set of rules that ensure high-quality care and services. However, those two sets of rules don't always align easily. Partnerships between EHS and child care programs will only be truly successful when they understand, respect, and deal with the differences.
The following links describe Head Start regulations as they apply to Early Head Start-Child Care Partnerships.
Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF)
Explore information about how the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act of 2014 strengthened the fund to better meet the needs of children and families.
- New Briefs About Health and Safety Topics
- Child Care Development Fund Reauthorization Law
- Plain Language Overview of the Law
- Statutory Language [PDF, 328KB]
- CCDF TA Resources
- Top 10 Ways CCDF Can Support EHS-CCP
- Policies and Practices that Promote Continuity of Child Care Services and Enhance Subsidy Systems [PDF, 158KB]
- Webinar: Child Care Development Fund (CCDF) Subsidy Authorization Processes and Provider Payment Practices: Supporting Low-Income Families and Child Care Providers
American Indian and Alaska Native (AIAN)
These resources describe how regulations apply to the unique needs of Tribal communities and child care.
State Licensing Regulations and Policy Alignments
These resources demonstrate how state agencies are aligning child care licensing regulations with state and national standards to develop policies that support EHS-CCP.
Comparisons with State Licensing Regulations
These resources compare state child care licensing regulations with Head Start, quality rating and improvement systems (QRIS), and CCDF standards.
- Family Engagement [PDF, 939KB]
- Health Services, Nutrition, and Disabilities [PDF, 1.1MB]
- Learning Environments, Developmental Domains, and Assessment [PDF, 1MB]
- Side-by-Side Comparison of Federal and State Requirements for Early Childhood Education Services [PDF, 454KB]
- National Database of Child Care Licensing Regulations
- National Program Standards Crosswalk Tool
- Webinar: National Standards Crosswalk Tool
Aligning State Policies to Support EHS-CCP
These resources highlight state lead agencies that are aligning key policies to effectively implement EHS-CCP.
- Build Initiative: Strong Foundations for Our Youngest Children [PDF, 3MB]
- Comprehensive Early Childhood System-Building: A Tool to Inform Discussions on Collaborative, Cross-Sector Planning [PDF, 471KB]
- State Lead Agency Policies Supportive of Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership
- Using Contracts and Grants to Build the Supply of High Quality Child Care: State Strategies and Practices
Last Reviewed: February 2017
Last Updated: February 17, 2017