Building Foundations for Economic Mobility Webinar Series and Virtual Resource Fair
This year, the Office of Head Start (OHS) has renewed its focus on Building Foundations for Economic Mobility. Use the videos and resources below to support program efforts around financial capability and education and career strategies for Head Start and Early Head Start families. Explore the latest evidence-based research and find tips to share with families and staff. New resources will be added throughout the year, so check back often.
Select a title below for more information and to access the archived webinars.
BFEM Webinar 1: Building Foundations for Economic Mobility: An Overview
Review the concept of Building Foundations for Economic Mobility. The webinar provides an overview of this topic, introduces goals and objectives related to this work, and reviews key messages. Hear from national experts about the research. Head Start and Early Head Start programs share their successes and challenges in the field working with families.
BFEM Webinar 2: Building Foundations to Increase Family Financial Security
This webinar focuses on strengthening Head Start and Early Head Start programs’ efforts around partnering with families to strengthen financial capability. National experts review the research and programs share their experiences working with families to address financial security.
BFEM Webinar 3: Building Foundations for Parent Employment, Education, and Career
Learn how to strengthen programs' efforts to improve employment and education opportunities and career pathways for families. Listen as national experts and Head Start and Early Head Start programs share research, successes, and challenges in working with families to address employment and education.
BFEM Webinar 4: Building Foundations Virtual Resource Fair and Networking
This Virtual Resource Fair is the culmination of the week-long Economic Mobility event. Participants networked, shared resources, and best practices about partnering with families to build foundations for economic mobility.
BFEM Webinar 5: Engaging Families in Sensitive Financial Conversations
Learn effective and respectful ways to engage families in conversations about their financial strengths, challenges, and needs.
BFEM Webinar 6: Using Money Management Curricula to Enhance Family Financial Skills
Watch this virtual tour of several free online money management curricula and materials. Learn how to improve family financial skills using these online tools.
BFEM Webinar 7: Building Family Financial Capability through Community Partnerships: Helping Families Build Wealth
Find strategies for forming partnerships with banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions. These partnerships can help to improve families' money management skills, enhance their credit knowledge, and increase their savings.
BFEM Webinar 8: Building Relationships with Adult Education and Workforce Training Programs
In this webinar, learn how Head Start grantees partner with adult education and workforce training programs.
BFEM Webinar 9: Making Career Pathway Programs Accessible to Families
Learn how career pathways programs help unemployed adults and workers with low wages. These programs aid job seekers in acquiring education and training that increases their employability in high-growth industries. Hear from Head Start grantees and community institutions currently engaged in partnerships with these programs.
BFEM Webinar 10: Building Foundations for Economic Mobility: Strategies to Increase Food Security Among Head Start Families
Explore the Food Security Screening Tool in the resources section below to find out about the root causes of food insecurity and hunger. Learn how food insecurity and hunger impact children and families. Find ways to identify families facing food insecurity. Discover how to address families’ needs through program actions and community partnerships.
BFEM Webinar 11: Helping Staff and Families Understand and Use Credit to Achieve Financial Goals
Learn about the work of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and the Office of Financial Empowerment. Discover how to access credit reports and submit a complaint to CFPB.
BFEM Webinar 12: Helping Families and Staff Maximize Tax Credit Benefits
Explore how tax credits can lift more families out of poverty annually than any other poverty-reduction effort. These credits include the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), the Child Credit, and the Child Care Credit. Explore ways to help families access free tax services and maximize benefits during tax filing season.
Webinar Handouts, Resources, and Recommended Links
- Webinar 1: Building Foundations for Economic Mobility: An Overview
- Webinar 2: Building Foundations to Increase Financial Security
- Webinar 3: Building Foundations for Parent Employment, Education, and Career Aspirations
- Webinar 4: Building Foundations Virtual Resource Fair and Networking
- Webinar 5: Engaging Families in Sensitive Financial Conversations
- Webinar 6: Using Money Management Curricula to Enhance Family Financial Skills
- Webinar 7: Building Family Financial Capability through Community Partnerships: Helping Families Build Wealth
- Webinar 8: Building Relationships with Adult Education and WorkforceTraining Program
- Webinar 9: Making Career Pathway Programs Accessible to Families
- Webinar 10: Building Foundations for Economic Mobility: Strategies to Increase Food Security Among Head Start Families
- Webinar 11: Helping Staff and Families Understand and Use Credit to Achieve Financial Goals
- Webinar 12: Helping Families and Staff Maximize Tax Credit Benefits
- Aligned by Design: Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and Adult Education [PDF, 65KB]
- Apprenticeship USA Toolkit
- Apprenticeship USA: Building a Skilled American Workforce [PDF, 205KB]
- Mapping the Digital Divide [PDF, 1.5MB]
- Food Security Learner's Packet
- Food Security Screening
- FY2015 Healthy Marriage and Responsible Fatherhood (HMRF) Grantees (2015-2020) [PDF, 104KB]
- Health Profession Opportunity Grants (HPOG) 2015 Grant Awards [PDF, 66KB]
- Our Family's Partnership Plan [PDF, 313KB] Available in Spanish (español) [PDF, 554KB]
- Promoting Two-Generation Strategies: A Getting-Started Guide for State and Local Policy Makers [PDF, 546KB]
- Secure Parental Employment: Indicators on Children and Youth [PDF, 685KB]
- The Family Partnership Process: Engaging and Goal-Setting with Families
- Vision for the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act in the Workforce System and Initial Implementation of the WIOA [PDF, 118KB]
- WIOA Fact Sheet: One-Stop Career Centers [PDF, 147KB]
- WIOA Fact Sheet: Youth Program [PDF, 146KB]
- American Job Center Finder
- ApprenticeshipUSA Toolkit
- Child & Adult Care Food Program
- Community Services Block Grant (CSBG)
- Early Childhood Health & Wellness: Nutrition
- Economic Policy Institute: Family Budget Calculator
- Farm to Preschool
- Feeding America: Child Hunger Fact Sheets
- Friends of Children of Mississippi, Inc.
- mySkills myFuture
- No Kid Hungry Campaign: Member locator
- OCTAE’s Community College Students
- Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
Check out more great resources to support Building Foundations for Economic Mobility.
Last Reviewed: February 2017
Last Updated: February 28, 2017