Family Engagement Outcomes
Families as Lifelong Educators
Parents and families observe, guide, promote, and participate in the everyday learning of their children at home, school, and in their communities.
To learn more, download the Office of Head Start Parent, Family, and Community Engagement Framework in English [PDF, 2.1MB] and Spanish (español)[PDF, 1.6MB]. Note: NCPFCE is in the process of revising this resource to reflect changes in the 2016 Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS).
OHS PFCE Framework
Select a topic below to learn about the PFCE Framework:
- Dunst, C. J., Hamby, D., Trivette, C. M., Raab, M., Bruder, M. B. (2000). Everyday family and community life and children's naturally occurring learning opportunities. Journal of Early Intervention, 23(3), 151-164 [PDF, 1MB]
- Huebner, C. E. Payne, K. (2010). Home support for emergent literacy: Follow-up of a community-based implementation of dialogic reading. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 31(3), 195-201
- Liew, J. (2012). Effortful Control, executive functions, and education: Bringing self-regulatory and social-emotional competencies to the table. Child Development Perspectives, 6(2), 105-111 [PDF, 176KB]
- McWayne, C., Hampton, V., Fantuzzo, J., Cohen, H. L., Sekino, Y. (2004). A multivariate examination of parent involvement and the social and academic competencies of urban kindergarten children. Psychology in the Schools, 41(3), 363-377
- Sheriden, S. M., Knoche, L. L., Ewards, C. P., Bovaird, J. A., Kupzyk, K. A. (2010). Parent engagement and school readiness: Effects of the Getting Ready intervention on preschool children's social-emotional competencies. Early Education and Development
- St. Clair, L. Jackson, B. (2006). Effect of family involvement training on the language skills of young elementary children from migrant families. The School Community Journal, 16(1), 31-42 [PDF, 160KB]
- Understanding Family Engagement Outcomes: Families as Lifelong Educators [PDF, 571KB]
- Involving Parents and Families
- Dual Language Learners and Family & Community Partnerships
- Foundations for School Readiness: Fostering Developmental Competence in the Earliest Years
- Head Start Disabilities Newsletter: Tips for Families [PDF, 703KB]
- Understanding Family Engagement Outcomes: Families as Lifelong Educators [PDF, 571KB]. Also available in Spanish (español) [PDF, 1.1MB].
- Engaging Fathers (Best Practices in Family and Community Engagement Video Series)
Last Reviewed: January 2017
Last Updated: January 24, 2017