Fathers for Life: Strengthening Families and Fatherhood: Children of Fathers in the Criminal Justice System
This resource was developed under an Innovation and Improvement Project grant from the Office of Head Start with the goal to encourage and support positive relationships of families with infants, toddlers, and preschool-aged children of incarcerated fathers or fathers on probation or parole. Head Start programs may find this resource useful.
- Annotated Bibliography/
Webliography of Fatherhood Curricula [PDF, 61KB]
- A Knowledge Nugget [PDF, 36KB]
- Executive Summary [PDF, 159KB]
About Fathers for Life
The overarching goal is to strengthen relationships of low-income families with infants, toddlers and preschool-aged children who have an incarcerated father or a father on probation or parole. This project is also known as Fathers for Life.
The project is designed to:
- support infants, toddlers and preschool-aged children who have incarcerated fathers or fathers released on probation/parole;
- provide parenting support to incarcerated fathers and fathers released on probation/parole who have infants, toddlers and preschool-aged children;
- improve the well-being for enrolled families of infants, toddlers and preschool-aged children whose fathers are incarcerated or released on probation/parole; and
- provide training and resources to teachers and service coordinators (i.e. family advocates or family service workers), and other professionals working with infants, toddlers and preschool-aged children of incarcerated parents and their families.
Professional Development Manual
The Professional Development Manual includes four sessions that are reflective of the training needs that will support staff members who work with families and children of fathers who are incarcerated, on probation or on parole:
- Section 1: Working Collaboratively for Families [PDF, 146KB]
- Section 2: Understanding Children's Needs [PDF, 2MB] and Presentation Slides [PDF, 2MB]
- Section 3: Sharing Special Topic Books [PDF, 140KB] and Presentation Slides [PDF, 2MB]
- Section 4: Dads Matter [PDF, 412KB] and Presentation Slides [PDF, 2MB]
Technical Assistance Manual
The Technical Assistance Manual has a variety of resources for community development, public relations, and implementation. Sample documents are also included:
- Section 1: Introduction - Fathers for Life Overview [PDF, 48KB]
- Section 2: Development of Fathers for Life - Statewide Approach [PDF, 52KB]
- Section 3: Development of Fathers for Life - Local Community Approach [PDF, 81KB]
- Section 4: Making the Model Work for Your Program [PDF, 112KB]
- Section 5: Forms and Templates [PDF, 274KB]
- Section 6: References [PDF, 25KB]
The Interventions Manual includes valuable materials that can be used to support Fathers for Life programs:
Fathers for Life: Strengthening Families and Fatherhood: Children of Fathers in the Criminal Justice System. HHS/ACF/OHS. 2008. English.
Last Reviewed: January 2011
Last Updated: September 10, 2015