Important Milestones: By the End of 3 Months
What is happening with your child when he or she is three months old? Is your child developing a smile? Can your child recognize faces? Can your child open and close his/her hands? Use the “Learn the Signs. Act Early” fact sheet to find out more about what usually happens when a child is three months old. You can also use the information in the fact sheet to talk with your child's doctor about growth and development milestones.
The following fact sheet is provided courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control’s "Learn the Signs. Act Early." Campaign.
Babies develop at their own pace, so it's impossible to tell exactly when your child will learn a given skill. The developmental milestones listed below will give you a general idea of the changes you can expect, but don't be alarmed if your own baby's development takes a slightly different course.
- Begins to develop a social smile
- Enjoys playing with other people and may cry when playing stops
- Becomes more expressive and communicates more with face and body
- Imitates some movements and facial expressions
- Raises head and chest when lying on stomach
- Supports upper body with arms when lying on stomach
- Stretches legs out and kicks when lying on stomach or back
- Opens and shuts hands
- Pushes down on legs when feet are placed on a firm surface
- Brings hand to mouth
- Takes swipes at dangling objects with hands
- Grasps and shakes hand toys
- Watches faces intently
- Follows moving objects
- Recognizes familiar objects and people at a distance
- Starts using hands and eyes in coordination
- Smiles at the sound of your voice
- Begins to babble
- Begins to imitate some sounds
- Turns head toward direction of sound
Developmental Health Watch
From CARING FOR YOUR BABY AND YOUNG CHILD: BIRTH TO AGE 5 by Steven Shelov, Robert E. Hannermann, © 1991, 1993, 1998, 2004 by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Used by permission of Bantam Books, a division of Random House, Inc.
See PDF Version:
Important Milestones: By the End of 3 Months [PDF, 133KB]
"Important Milestones: By the End of 3 Months." Learn the Signs. Act Early. DHHS/CDC. 2005. English. [PDF, 133KB]
Last Reviewed: December 2010
Last Updated: September 5, 2014