Program Impact Areas
Teaching and Learning
Families are engaged as equal partners in their children's learning and development.
To learn more, download the Office of Head Start Parent, Family, and Community Engagement Framework in English [PDF, 2.1MB] and Spanish (español) [PDF, 1.6MB]. Note: NCPFCE is in the process of revising this resource to reflect changes in the 2016 Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS).
OHS PFCE Framework
Select a topic below to learn about the PFCE Framework:
- Dearing, E., Kreider, H., Simpkins, S., Weiss, H. B. (2006). Family Involvement in school and low-income children's literacy performance: Longitudinal associations between and within families. Journal of Educational Psychology, 98, 653-664
- Raikes, H., Luze, G., Brooks-Gunn, J., Raikes, H.A., Pan, B.A., Tamis-LeMonda, C.S., et al. (2006). Mother-child bookreading in low-income families: Correlates and outcomes during the first three years of life. Child Development 77(4), 924-953 [PDF, 252KB]
- Incorporating Cultural Themes to Promote Preschoolers' Critical Thinking in American Indian Head Start Classrooms. Dubosarsky, M., Murphy, B., Roehrig, G., Frost, L.C., Jones, Jennifer, and Carlson, S.P. with Londo, N., Melchert, J.B., Gettel, C., and Bem
- Sense and Sensitivity: Research indicates best ways to boost parental sensitivity to child behavior. The Research and Training Center on Early Childhood Development. ED/OSERS/OSEP. No. 3. Vol. 3. 2004. English.
- Mendoza, J., Katz, L.G., Robertson, A.S., Rothenberg, D. "Connecting with Parents in Early Years." 2003: W.K. Kellogg Foundation [PDF, 744KB]
- Tomasito's Mother Comes to School/La mamá de Tomasito visita la escuela [PDF, 1.1MB]
- PFCE Simulation Series: Boosting School Readiness through Effective Family Engagement
- Understanding Family Engagement Outcomes: Family Engagement and School Readiness [PDF, 538KB]. Also available in Spanish (español) [PDF, 1.1MB].
- Understanding Family Engagement Outcomes: Families as Lifelong Educators [PDF, 571KB]. Also available in Spanish (español) [PDF, 549KB].
- National Center on Quality Teaching and Learning
Last Reviewed: January 2017
Last Updated: January 24, 2017