Emergency Response and Recovery
These materials have been compiled to provide resources to Head Start programs and parents in supporting the children and families in areas disrupted by disasters. Programs play a critical role in providing stability, safety, nurturing, and access to resources.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping'." ― Fred Rogers
Social Emotional Support for Children
Maintain your daily routine. Be available. Be flexible and patient. Avoid too much news media coverage. Take care of yourself.
- After a Disaster: Helping Young Children Heal [PDF, 107KB]. National Child Traumatic Stress Network. 2005.
- Little Listeners in an Uncertain World: Providing Safety and Support through Community Trauma. HHS/ACF/OHS/EHSNRC. 2006. Streaming Audio. 01:33:22.
- Talking with Your Child About Natural Disasters. Child Care Aware. 2011.
- Caring for Children After a Disaster [PDF, 154KB]. HHS/ACF/OHS and OCC. 2012.
- Keeping Children Safe in Sandy's Wake. Chung, Sarita, M.D. FEMA. 2012.
- Parent Guidelines for Helping Children After a Tornado [PDF, 154KB]. NCTSN. 2013.
- Tornado Response for Kids: Right After a Tornado [PDF, 144KB]. NCTSN. 2013.
- Tornado Recovery for Kids: Making Things Better [PDF, 144KB]. NCTSN. 2013.
Social Emotional Support for Adults
- The Long-term Impact of a Traumatic Event. HHS/SAMHSA. 2002.
- Psychological First Aid for Adults [PDF, 239KB]. National Child Traumatic Stress Network. 2006.
- Call the SAMHSA Coping with Violence and Traumatic Events Hotline at 1-800-985-5990 or text 'TalkWithUs' to 66746.
Disaster Recovery for Families
- Access to Disaster Help and Resources. DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Financial Assistance. FEMA.
- Food Banks. Feeding America.
- Keep Food and Water Safe After a Disaster or Emergency. CDC.
- Shelter. American Red Cross.
- Emergency Salvage of Flood Damaged Family Papers. NARA. 2009.
- Guidelines to Saving Family Treasures. NARA. 2009.
Disaster Recovery for Head Start Programs
- Rebuilding or Relocating Your Child Care Facility? Diaster Assistance Might be Available for You! [PDF, 184KB]. Child Care Aware. Child Care Aware of America
- Child Care Resources for Disasters and Emergencies. HHS/ACF/OCC.
Last Reviewed: December 2016
Last Updated: December 13, 2016