Determining Child Health Status
Since its beginnings, Head Start has recognized that health is the foundation for children's growth and development, and that healthy children are better able to learn. Evidence suggests that when children receive preventive well-child care, early diagnosis, and effective treatment, they are more likely to engage in learning. The first requirement in the Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS) for child health and development services is §1304.20(a) – Determining Child Health Status. It describes activities that must be completed within 90 days of a child's entry into the program. Note: This resource is under review.
- 2017 Immunization Schedules for Children and Adults
- ACF-IM-HS-09-05 Accessing Professional Medical and Dental Services
- ACF-PI-HS-06-03 Oral Health - Revision
- Making the Link Between Health and School Readiness
- Recommendations for Preventive Pediatric Health Care Bright Futures/American Academy of Pediatrics
- What You Need to Know About EPSDT
Determining Child Health Status. HHS/ACF/OHS/NCH. 2015. English. Streaming Video. 00:14:49.
Last Reviewed: March 2017
Last Updated: March 8, 2017