Checklist for New Head Start and Early Head Start Directors
This checklist provides new Head Start and Early Head Start directors key information to better support their leadership roles. Executive directors, TA providers, and management teams are also great resources to consult when building the new director’s foundation.
Head Start and Early Head Directors can use this checklist to help ensure that you have key information you need to be effective in your leadership role. Remember that your executive director, TA provider and management team are all resources that you can tap into to build a strong foundation in your new role.
- Your current Head Start funding application for the 3-year cycle and related correspondence including the Financial Assistance Award (FAA)
- Refunding applications for the past three years
- A copy of your current USDA food services contract
- Current governing body structure for your program
- Current organization chart for your program
- Current strategic plan
- Current Personnel Policies & Procedures
- Current Administrative Procedures
- Service Area plans for:
Program Management & Design
Early Childhood Development & Health Services
Family & Community Partnerships
Transportation (if applicable)
- Last completed Community Assessment and updates
- Last completed annual program self-assessment and improvement plans
- By-Laws for each policy group
Minutes from meetings held by:
Policy Committee for Delegates
- Last PIR (Program Information Report)
- Monthly USDA Reports
- Copy of your agency’s last financial audit
- Financial Reports (SF-269 and SF-272)
- Copies of quarterly Head Start Financial Reports
- Your program's insurance policies
- Monthly enrollment and attendance report
- Ongoing monitoring service area report
- Most recent Federal On-site Report
- Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) - if applicable)
- Head Start grant application instructions
- Copy of the most recent Head Start Program Performance Standards
- Copy of the Improving Head Start for School Readiness Act of 2007
- Copy of OMB Circulars (Which Circular Do I Follow)
- Program Information Report Information
- Five Steps to Community Assessment Workbook
- GABI – Grants Application Budget Instrument
- Office of Head Start Monitoring Protocol
- Refunding grant application (Head Start/Early Head Start and other)?
- Reporting requirements of grants?
- Reporting requirements for program activities, such as family assessments, health screening, self-assessment, and accreditation?
- Data collection for Community Assessment and/or updates?
- Data collection for the Program Information Report (PIR)?
- End of Month (EOM) Enrollment?
- Regional Office Program Specialist and Grants Specialist?
- Head Start State Association Chair?
- Other directors in the Region with programs similar to yours?
- USDA contact for your state or locality?
- State Pupil Transportation Director?
- Child Care Licensing Contact?
- State-Based T/TA Office?
- Grantee Performance Support Specialist?
- Head Start-State Collaboration Office?
- Bookmark for Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center, your one-stop shop for Head Start and early childhood online resources?
- Head Start Subscriber Alerts?
Checklist for New Head Start and Early Head Start Directors. HHS/ACF/OHS. 2008. English.
Last Reviewed: October 2012
Last Updated: November 13, 2014