Learning for New Leaders: Overview
About Head Start A to Z
The National Center on Program Management and Fiscal Operations (PMFO) has designed this collection of learning sessions to address the unique needs of new Head Start and Early Head Start leaders. Use these sessions and related materials to orient and support new directors and managers.
Over the past year, PMFO has received and incorporated valuable feedback on these sessions through field testing with grantee specialists, experienced directors, and early childhood and other content experts from the field, along with new directors and managers.
Each session includes:
- Key messages*
- A session description that includes:
- Background information
- Overarching theme
- List of materials
- Ideas for planning ahead
- Let's Get Started session presentation walk-through with trainer notes
- PowerPoint presentation
How Can A to Z Be Used?
New directors, managers, and other leaders may use the session materials in:
- Individual professional development
- Face-to-face group settings
- Distance learning interactions
Head Start A to Z Sessions
Data and School-Readiness Sessions
Discover the importance of school readiness and data-driven decision-making in leaders' work.
- Using Data in Head Start and Early Head Start—The Leader’s Role
- The Leader's Role in School Readiness
10 Management Systems Sessions
- Fiscal Management
- Program Governance
- Ongoing Monitoring
- Recordkeeping and Reporting
- Eligibility, Recruitment, Selection, Enrollment, and Attendance (ERSEA)
- Facilities, Materials, and Equipment (including technology and transportation)
- Human Resources
Last Reviewed: August 2014
Last Updated: October 29, 2014