This session provides a general overview of what Head Start and Early Head Start leaders need to know and do related to Head Start program governance. They are charged with the task of ensuring effective program governance, which is a unique and complex system. It is designed to be inclusive of the local community, of which parents are an integral part. The key to effective program governance is the right structure, the right people, and the right practices. The Head Start and Early Head Start leader’s role is to ensure that the governance and management entities are working collaboratively to achieve positive outcomes for children, families, and communities.
To get started, use the tab to open the "Session Description" below. It provides an outline of the entire session, detailed presenter notes, and suggestions for using the materials in the "Activities and Handouts" tab.
Program Governance Note: This resource is under review.
Activities and Handouts
- Head Start Governance and Management Responsibilities Completed Venn Diagram [PDF, 186KB]
- Governance Resources Chart [PDF, 220KB]
- Head Start Program Governance Reference Book In Spanish (español) Note: This resource is under review.
- Key Messages for New Leaders [PDF, 505KB]
- Mission Possible Activity Instructions [PDF, 106KB]
- Intel for Mission Possible Activity [PDF, 79KB]
- Nifty Notes [DOC, 57KB]
- Head Start Governance and Management Responsibilities Partial Venn Diagram
- Large Head Start Governance and Management Responsibilities Partial Venn Diagram [PDF, 90KB]
- Program Governance Monitoring Citations: 2012-2013 [PDF, 142KB]
- Is Your Program Experiencing Challenges in These Areas? [PDF, 89KB]
Last Reviewed: December 2016
Last Updated: January 6, 2017