Head Start Teacher - Valliant
Little Dixie C.A.A.
- Provide day-to-day supervision and guidance of classroom staff and volunteers. Manage classroom operations; provide supervision, guidance, and coaching to Teacher Assistants, Special Needs Aides and classroom volunteers.
- Ensure policy and procedures are properly applied and interpreted by classroom teachers.
- Develop and monitor individual staff training plans. Assess training needs and participate in planning in-service training.
- Observe and evaluate classroom effectiveness. Evaluate Teacher Assistants according to program schedule, policies and procedures.
- Participate in curriculum development and recommend necessary changes. Meet regularly with classroom teachers regarding lesson plans and classroom management.
- Plan and provide a comprehensive program including implementation of Head Start curriculum, and Head Start Performance Standards.
- Work in a team setting with all staff to determine individual needs of children. Provide guidance and direction to meet the individual needs of children. Design and implement plans that will expose children to meaningful experiences. Maintain professional relationships with co-workers, support staff, families and supervisors.
- Plan and participate in monthly staff meetings, case management meetings, and In-Service training. Consult with appropriate service providers, consultants, and staff regarding child developmental concerns.
- Conduct at least two home visits and two parent/teacher conferences with each child’s family per year, according to program schedule, policies and procedures.
- Greet parents and children pleasantly and appropriately, ensuring a smooth transition into the classroom, a positive home-classroom connection and a family partnership. Maintain ongoing professional and appropriate communication with parents. Provide activities parents can do at home with their children to support the curriculum and the child’s learning. Encourage parents to become involved in workshops, training and other Head Start activities.
- Always use a positive approach and follow Head Start methods of redirection and guidance to handle misbehavior of children. NO forms of physical punishment or humiliation will be used. An appropriate tone of voice and wording is required when talking to children and parents.
- Must be able to sit and eat with children at mealtimes sharing the same menu. A physician’s statement must be obtained for special dietary needs. Pleasant child-oriented conversation should take place during mealtimes. No sodas, tea or other drinks other than water is allowed to be consumed while children are present.
- Smoking will not be allowed on Head Start property. No vulgar language is allowed. Cell phone use will be limited to emergency use only.
- Maintain an environment that is tolerant and respectful of child and family cultures, values and differences. Assist Non-English speaking families.
- Provide all information requested for program documentation in a timely manner.
- Assist other staff with projects as requested. Perform other duties as assigned and reasonably within scope of duties listed above.
- Maintain good attendance. Perform all duties in a safe, timely, and professional manner. Participate with a positive attitude and behavior in all program activities.
- Recruit on behalf of Head Start by following recruitment procedures, post flyers, signs, and Head Start applications in community.
- Maintain and monitor the maintenance of accurate child attendance records, USDA food records/reports, in-kind reports and other record keeping and reports as required. Keep all assigned records accurate and current as appropriate. Keep all records and family information confidential.
- Plan and participate in monthly classroom parent meetings with Family Advocate and parents. Plan and participate in monthly Dad’s Day Activities and children’s graduation.
- Continue professional growth by participating in ECE classes, training programs, or workshops/conferences, as the budget allows. Attend and participate in in-service training and any other training, meeting or workshops as deemed necessary by the HS/EHS/EHS-CC Director or Executive Director.
- Become knowledgeable and maintain an understanding and support the philosophies, theories and the mission of Head Start and Little Dixie Community Action Agency, Inc.
- Perform repetitive motion duties such as sweeping, mopping, wiping tables, and other cleaning duties.
- The listed job functions, duties and responsibilities do not necessarily include all activities that the incumbent may perform. Nothing herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- An Associate’s degree in early childhood education; or
- An Associate degree in a field related to early childhood education and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education, with experience teaching preschool-age children.
- Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Obtain and maintain first aide and infant/toddler CPR certification within 90 days from date of hire.
- Obtain required criminal record check clearance prior to hire and during employment as required by state licensing.
- Must not have pending charges, entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, or been convicted of: any criminal activity involving violence against a person; child abuse or neglect; possession, sale or distribution of illegal drugs; sexual misconduct; or an act of gross irresponsibility or disregard for the safety of others or a pattern of criminal activity; or required to register pursuant to the Sex Offender Registration Act or any person required to register under the Mary Rippy Violent Crime Offenders Registration Act.
- Possess an understanding of the needs of low-income families and an appreciation for the role of the parents as primary educators of their children.
- Must obtain and provide documentation of an initial and annual physical health examination and TB screening or assessment (as required).
Please visit http://www.littledixie.org, select employment opportunities in the lower right corner, go to LDCAA Employment Application on upper left side of page, complete online application and left click submit.