Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center (ECLKC)
- Cold Weather Safety
- Keeping Children Safe Using Active Supervision
- Nature-Based Learning and Development
- News You Can Use: Learning Environments
- Outdoor Experiences for Very Young Children
- Resources for Safe Playgrounds
- Spending Time Outdoors Matters for Infants and Toddlers!
- Summer Safety Tips for Early Care and Education Programs
Articles, Books, and Resources of Interest
Ball, David; Tim Gill, Bernard Spiegal. Managing Risk in Play Provision: Implementation Guide. 2nd ed.London: Play England/National Children's Bureau, 2012.
Children and Nature Network. Children's Contact with the Outdoors and Nature: A Focus on Educators and Educational Settings. Minneapolis, MN, 2012.
Growing Minds Farm to School. "Early Introductions to Sensory Gardens: Infants and Toddlers." n.d.
Healthychildren.org. "Sun Safety and Protection Tips." n.d.
Luckenbill, Julia. "7 Tips for Vegetable Gardening With Your Toddler." Washington, DC: NAEYC, n.d.
Ohio State University, Department of Defense Child Development Virtual Laboratory School. Infants & Toddlers, Learning Environments: The Outdoor Environment: Designing for Engagement. n.d.
Playground Safety Guides from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Powers, Julie; Sheila Williams Ridge. Nature-Based Learning for Young Children: Anytime, Anywhere, on Any Budget. St. Paul, MN: Redleaf Press, 2018.
Sterling Honig, Alice. "Exploring Nature With Your Baby." Scholastic, Nov. 6, 2012.
Sterling Honig, Alice. "Infants and Toddlers: Let's Go Outside!" Scholastic, n.d.
Wiedel-Lubinski, Monica. "Engaging Toddlers in Nature Play." Washington, DC: NAEYC, 2014.
Websites of Interest
- Children and Nature Network
- Earth Play
- Kids Gardening
- National Program for Playground Safety
- Natural Learning Initiative
- World Forum Foundation™: Nature
- Nature Explore
National Centers:Early Childhood Development, Teaching and Learning
Last Updated: June 8, 2020