1 slice whole wheat bread
1 red, yellow, or green bell pepper 1 carrot
1 black bean, cut in half (black olive pieces can be used as a substitute)
1 teaspoon hummus
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut the bread into two 1-inch circles.
- Cut the pepper into strips.
- Cut the carrot into long and short sticks.
- Cut the bean in half.
- Spread the hummus onto one bread circle, and cover with the other circle.
- Put the bell pepper strips around the top of the sandwich for feathers.
- Put two long carrot sticks on the bottom of the sandwich for legs.
- Put one short carrot stick on either side of each long carrot stick for feet.
- Put a small piece of bread crust and a strip of bell pepper on the sandwich for the wattle.
- Put the black bean halves on the sandwich for eyes.
Makes 1 serving
Safety tips: To prevent injuries, an adult should slice ingredients. To prevent choking, do not give children under age 3 foods that may cause choking (for example, whole grapes, raw carrots, raisins). For children ages 3 to 5, modify these foods (for example, chopping raw carrots finely or into thin strips).
Last Updated: February 16, 2021