Discover what Head Start directors need to know, do, and oversee to support school readiness. This session describes the policies and standards related to school readiness. It outlines the four strategic steps and overall process for developing school readiness goals. Leaders will learn how it affects infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. The session clarifies the relationship between school readiness and program goals, and shows how the 10 Head Start management systems support school readiness. It also will help directors understand how all members of the Head Start and early childhood community contribute to a program's school readiness efforts.
To get started, read the session description. It provides an outline of the entire session, detailed presenter notes, and suggestions for using the materials in the Activities and Handouts tab.
- School Readiness – The Leader's Role: Session Description Note: This resource is under review.
- Leader's Role in School Readiness Note: This resource is under review.
- Leader's Role in School Readiness: Printable PowerPoint Note: This resource is under review.
Activities and Handouts
- A Team Approach to School Readiness: What's Our Role?
- Celebrating Good Times: Role-Play Cards and Script
- Key Messages for New Leaders
- Keeping It Simple with Systems: School Readiness Focus – Questions to Consider
- School Readiness: What Head Start Directors Need to Know, Do, and Oversee Note: This resource is under review.
- Nifty Notes
- What's Your Outcome?
- Planning in Head Start Topic 3: Program Goals and School Readiness Goals – Understanding the Relationship
- School Readiness: The Leader's Role – Truth or Myth? Note: This resource is under review.
- School Readiness: The Leader's Role – Truth or Myth? Answer Key Note: This resource is under review.
- What's My Role? Fillable Cards