There are a number of things that parents and caregivers can do to help motivate young children to learn. These activities offer parents and caregivers tips on getting children involved in reading and learning.
The following is an excerpt from Teaching Our Youngest.
- Talk often with your children from the day they are born.
- Hug them, hold them, and respond to their needs and interests.
- Listen carefully as your children communicate with you.
- Read aloud to your children every day, even when they are babies. Play and sing with them often.
- Say "yes" and "I love you" as much as you say "no" and "don't."
- Ensure a safe, orderly, and predictable environment, wherever they are.
- Set limits on their behavior and discipline them calmly, not harshly.
Last Updated: October 2, 2018