The Louisiana Head Start State Collaboration Office (LAHSSCO) is located in the Louisiana Department of Education. LAHSSCO provides a comprehensive, family-focused child development program that offers education, health, parental involvement, and social services for low-income families and their children.
Major partnerships include:
- Department of Health and Hospitals
- State Interagency Coordinating Council (SICC)
- Louisiana Developmental Disabilities Council (LDDC)
The LAHSSCO identifies with Bright Start, Louisiana's Advisory Council.
The major goals of LAHSSCO include:
- Securing the appropriate placement and autonomy of the LAHSSCO
- Encouraging Head Start programs' participation in the state's E-Rate Program
- Securing Head Start's place at the table during the state's planning and development of its Early Childhood System (Act 3)
- Promoting Head Start's status as an early childhood education program and not child care
In addition to the contributions listed above, LAHSSCO has accomplished the following:
- Created a statewide early childhood care and education network through ACT 3, the Louisiana Early Childhood Education Act, which was passed in spring 2012.