The Michigan Head Start State Collaboration Office (MIHSSCO) is located in the Department of Education. The mission of Michigan's Department of Education is to increase access to systems of education that support success for every student through leadership, policy implementation, and light-of-day reporting.
Michigan's Head Start Collaboration Office is a part of the Great Start Early Learning Advisory Council.
Major partnerships include:
- Part B 619
- Part C
- Child Care
- State pre-K
- 21st Century afterschool programs
- State-funded early childhood programs
- Departments of Community Health and Human Services
- Michigan Early Childhood Home Visiting (MiECHV) Program
- Child Welfare
- Child Care Licensing
- Several health-focused initiatives
The major goals of the MIHSSCO include:
- Supporting the executive order that created the Office of Great Start that says children are:
- Born healthy
- Healthy, thriving, and developmentally on track from birth to third grade
- Developmentally ready to succeed at the time of school entry
- Prepared to succeed in fourth grade and beyond by reading proficiently by the end of third grade
- Fostering school transitions for Head Start children and other low-income or high-needs preschool children into kindergarten.
- Developing a comprehensive professional development system that supports increased quality services to Head Start and other low-income children through early learning programs.
- Integrating child level data into the state longitudinal data system to support to data needs of Head Start grantees and improve long-term data reporting.
In addition to the contributions listed above, MIHSSCO accomplished the following:
- Piloted the addition of local Head Start data into our data longitudinal data system using existing Head Start data management tools.
- Supported coordinated preschool and child care recruitment efforts across the state, leading to improved coordination.
- Increased participation in Michigan's Quality Rating and Improvement System, Great Start to Quality, through coordination of standards and policies to support Head Start integration.