Use this checklist to gather the information you need to file your 2022 taxes and avoid multiple trips to your tax preparer. This checklist can also be used by those who don’t usually file taxes.
Free Tax Services Available
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who need assistance preparing their tax returns, including people who make $60,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and taxpayers with limited English proficiency. Families can usually find VITA sites in community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. To locate a VITA program near you, use the VITA Locator Tool or call (toll-free) 888-227-7669.
The IRS Free File offers many online resources and tax help. Find tax forms, instructions and publications, online payment options, and more. Individuals can even prepare and file their federal income tax online for free.
What to Bring
- Photo ID
- Social Security card or verification letter, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for all family members
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2022
- Form 1099-G for unemployment compensation and state or local tax refunds
- Form W-2G and other 1099 forms for other income in 2022 (Example: 1099-K is for transactions exceeding $600)
- Child care provider name, address, tax ID number, and the amount you paid them in 2022 for child care costs
- A copy of last year’s state and federal tax returns
- Other applicable tax-related documents, such as interest statements, federal loan documents, and retirement statements
Health Insurance Documents
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C, Affordable Health Care Statements, or health insurance exemption certificates
Bank Account information*
- Banking or credit union account information
- Voided check or savings deposit slip
*These documents can help you quickly deposit your refund and use some of it for savings.
Identify Protection PIN (IP PIN)
- An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) is a six-digit number that prevents someone else from filing a tax return using your Social Security number or ITIN. The quickest way to get your IP PIN is to use the Get an IP PIN tool, available in mid-January 2023.
Source: Tax Time Checklist: Make the Most of Your Tax Refund, from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Resource Type: Publication
National Centers: Parent, Family and Community Engagement
Audience: Family Service Workers
Last Updated: December 4, 2023