The Safe Foundations, Healthy Futures campaign is dedicated to ensuring safe and nurturing settings for children to grow up healthy and be ready to succeed in school. Designed for Head Start and Early Head Start program staff, the campaign shares best practices to eliminate preventable risks to children’s health, safety, and well-being. Campaign activities focus on monthly themes and provide resources to create a safe and healthy setting for children to grow and learn.
Launched in August 2018, the Safe Foundations, Healthy Futures campaign features the following monthly topics and resources. Activities will vary from month to month.
- September 2018: Creating and Enhancing a Culture of Safety
- October 2018: Active Supervision for Child Safety
- November 2018: Strategies to Create Positive Learning Environments for Children and Staff
- December 2018: Caring for Yourself So You Can Care for Others
- January 2019: Creating Trauma-Sensitive Classrooms to Promote Health and Safety
- February 2019: Promoting Organizational and Staff Wellness
- March 2019: Human Resources – Systems to Recruit and Retain Responsive Staff
- April 2019: Embedding Health and Safety in your Program’s Culture
Head Start staff are encouraged to use MyPeers, the Office of Head Start's (OHS) virtual learning network. It allows staff to connect and exchange ideas with their colleagues from across the country. The Safe Foundations, Healthy Futures community on MyPeers helps staff find answers to questions and gain access to resources around safety. Explore how to create positive interactions and foster safe and nurturing settings for children to thrive.
Last Updated: July 31, 2019