The PFCE Framework for Early Childhood Systems identifies important drivers for positive and goal-oriented relationships across the entire early childhood field. Equity, inclusiveness, and cultural and linguistic responsiveness are important to integrate throughout the system.
- Building Partnerships Series: Family Engagement and Cultural Perspectives – Applying Strengths-based Attitudes
- Building Partnerships Series: Partnering with Families of Children Who Are Dual Language Learners
- Dual Language Learners Program Assessment (DLLPA): Users' Guide
- Interactive Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework: Ages Birth to Five
- Making It Work! Implementing Cultural Learning Experiences in American Indian and Alaska Native Early Learning Settings
- Positive Goal-Oriented Relationships
- August, D., Shanahan, T. (2006). Developing Literacy in Second-Language Learners: Report of the National Literacy Panel on Language Minority Children and Youth. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- DeHouwer, A. (2009). Bilingual First Language Acquisition. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Espinosa, L. M. (2008). Challenging Common Myths about Young English Language Learners. New York: Foundation for Children.
- Rolstad, K., Mahoney, K. S., Glass, G. (2005). Weighing the Evidence: A Meta-analysis of Bilingual Education in Arizona. Bilingual Research Journal. 29. 43-67.
- Slavin, R. E., Cheung, A. (2005). A Synthesis of Research on Language of Reading Instruction for English Language Learners. Review of Educational Research, 75, 247–284.
- Subpart A—Eligibility, Recruitment, Selection, Enrollment, and Attendance, Purpose, 45 CFR § 1302.10
- Teaching and the learning environment, 45 CFR § 1302.31(a)(2)(iii)
- Child screenings and assessments, 45 CFR § 1302.33(c)(1)
- Education in home-based programs, 45 CFR § 1302.35(a)
- Subpart D—Health Program Services, Purpose, 45 CFR § 1302.40(a)
- Collaboration and communication with parents, 45 CFR § 1302.41(a)
- Child nutrition, 45 CFR § 1302.44(a)(1)
- Child mental health and social and emotional well-being, 45 CFR § 1302.45(b)(2)
- Family engagement, 45 CFR § 1302.50(b)(2)
- Community partnerships and coordination with other early childhood and education programs, 45 CFR § 1302.53(a)(iv)
- Staff qualification and competency requirements, 45 CFR § 1302.91(e)(ii)
Resource Type: Article
National Centers: Parent, Family and Community Engagement
Last Updated: June 6, 2022