The PFCE Framework for Early Childhood Systems identifies important drivers for positive and goal-oriented relationships across the entire early childhood field. Equity, inclusiveness, and cultural and linguistic responsiveness are important to integrate throughout the system.
To learn more, download the Head Start Parent, Family, and Community Engagement (PFCE) Framework.
- Head Start Cultural and Linguistic Responsiveness Resource Catalogue
- Making It Work! Implementing Cultural Learning Experiences in American Indian and Alaska Native Early Learning Settings
- Interactive Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework: Ages Birth to Five
- Ways to Use Cultural Backgrounders
- August, D., Shanahan, T. (2006). Developing Literacy in Second-Language Learners: Report of the National Literacy Panel on Language Minority Children and Youth. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- DeHouwer, A. (2009). Bilingual First Language Acquisition. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Espinosa, L. M. (2008). Challenging Common Myths about Young English Language Learners. New York: Foundation for Children.
- Rolstad, K., Mahoney, K. S., Glass, G. (2005). Weighing the Evidence: A Meta-analysis of Bilingual Education in Arizona. Bilingual Research Journal. 29. 43-67.
- Slavin, R. E., Cheung, A. (2005). A Synthesis of Research on Language of Reading Instruction for English Language Learners. Review of Educational Research, 75, 247–284.
- Subpart A—Eligibility, Recruitment, Selection, Enrollment, and Attendance, Purpose, 45 CFR § 1302.10
- Teaching and the learning environment, 45 CFR § 1302.31(a)(2)(iii)
- Child screenings and assessments, 45 CFR § 1302.33(c)(1)
- Education in home-based programs, 45 CFR § 1302.35(a)
- Subpart D—Health Program Services, Purpose, 45 CFR § 1302.40(a)
- Collaboration and communication with parents, 45 CFR § 1302.41(a)
- Child nutrition, 45 CFR § 1302.44(a)(1)
- Child mental health and social and emotional well-being, 45 CFR § 1302.45(b)(2)
- Family engagement, 45 CFR § 1302.50(b)(2)
- Community partnerships and coordination with other early childhood and education programs, 45 CFR § 1302.53(a)(iv)
- Staff qualification and competency requirements, 45 CFR § 1302.91(e)(ii)
Resource Type: Article
National Centers: Parent, Family and Community Engagement
Last Updated: August 7, 2018