Parents and families observe, guide, promote, and participate in the everyday learning of their children at home, school, and in their communities.
To learn more, download the Head Start Parent, Family, and Community Engagement (PFCE) Framework.
- The Foundations for School Readiness: Fostering Developmental Competence in the Earliest Years – Technical Assistance Paper No. 6
- Engaging Fathers
- Family Engagement, Language, and Literacy Webinar Series
- Fatherhood Connection Webinar Series
- Fatherhood Connection Resource Flash
- Dunst, C. J., Hamby, D., Trivette, C. M., Raab, M., Bruder, M. B. (2000). Everyday Family and Community Life and Children's Naturally Occurring Learning Opportunities. Journal of Early Intervention, 23(3), 151-164 [PDF, 1MB]
- Huebner, C. E. Payne, K. (2010). Home support for emergent literacy: Follow-up of a community-based implementation of dialogic reading. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 31(3), 195-201
- Liew, J. (2012). Effortful Control, Executive Functions, and Education: Bringing Self-Regulatory and Social-Emotional Competencies to the Table. Child Development Perspectives, 6(2), 105-111 [PDF, 176KB]
- McWayne, C., Hampton, V., Fantuzzo, J., Cohen, H. L., Sekino, Y. (2004). A Multivariate Examination of Parent Involvement and the Social and Academic Competencies of Urban Kindergarten Children. Psychology in the Schools, 41(3), 363-377
- Sheriden, S. M., Knoche, L. L., Ewards, C. P., Bovaird, J. A., Kupzyk, K. A. (2010). Parent Engagement and School Readiness: Effects of the Getting Ready intervention on Preschool Children's Aocial-Emotional Competencies. Early Education and Development
- St. Clair, L. Jackson, B. (2006). Effect of Family Involvement Training on the Language Skills of Young Elementary Children from Migrant Families. The School Community Journal, 16(1), 31-42 [PDF, 160KB]
- Understanding Family Engagement Outcomes: Research to Practice Series – Families as Lifelong Educators [PDF, 571KB]
- Love, J. M., Kisker, E. E., Constantine, J., Boller, K., Chazan- Cohen, R., Brady-Smith, C., ... Vogel, C. (2005). The Effectiveness of Early Head Start for 3-Year-Old Children and Their Parents: Lessons for Policy and Programs. Developmental Psychology, 41(6), 885–901.
- Green, C. L., Walker, J. M. T., Hoover-Dempsey, K. V., Sandler, H. M. (2007). Parents' Motivations for Involvement in Children's Education: An Empirical Test of a Theoretical Model of Parental Involvement. Journal of Educational Psychology, 99(3), 532–544. doi: 10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1242
- Hoover-Dempsey, K. V., Walker, J. M., Sandler, H. M. (2005). Parents' Motivations for Involvement in Their Children's Education. In E.N. Patrikakou, R.P. Weissberg, S. Redding, H.J. Walberg (Eds.), School-Family Partnerships for Children's Success. (pp. 40–56). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Powell, D. R., Son, S. H., File, N., San Juan, R. R. (2010). Parent-School Relationships and Children's Academic and Social Outcomes in Public School Pre-Kindergarten. Journal of School Psychology, 48(4), 269–292.
- Rosenblatt, Z., Peled, D. (2002). School Ethical Climate and Parental Involvement. Journal of Educational Administration, 40(4), 349–367.
- Teaching and the learning environment, 45 CFR § 1302.31 (c), (c)(1)-(2)
- Child screenings and assessments, 45 CFR § 1302.33 (a), (a)(1)-(3), (a)(3)(i)-(ii), (a)(4)-(5), (a)(5)(i)-(ii), (a)(5)(ii)(A)-(B), (b), (b)(2)-(3), (c), (c)(2), (c)(2)(i)-(iii), (c)(3)-(4)
- Parent and family engagement in education and child development services, 45 CFR § 1302.34 (a), (b), (b)(1)-(8)
- Education in home-based programs, 45 CFR § 1302.35 (a), (b), (b)(1)-(4), (c), (c)(1)-(4), (c)(4)(i)-(ii), (c)(5), (d), (d)(1), (d)(1)(i)-(iii), (d)(2)-(3), (d)(3)(i)-(ii), (d)(4), (e), (e)(1)-(2), (e)(2)(i)-(ii), (e)(3), (e)(3)(f)
- Child mental health and social and emotional well-being, 45 CFR § 1302.45 (a), (a)(1)-(4), (b), (b)(1)-(6)
- Family support services for health, nutrition, and mental health, 45 CFR § 1302.46 (a)
- Family engagement, 45 CFR § 1302.50 (a), (b), (b)(1)-(6)
- Parent activities to promote child learning and development, 45 CFR § 1302.51 (a), (a)(1)-(3), (b)
- Family partnership services, 45 CFR § 1302.52 (a)-(c), (a)(c)(1)-(4), (d)
- Community partnerships and coordination with other early childhood and education programs, 45 CFR § 1302.53 (a), (a)(1)-(2), (a)(2)(i)-(viii)
- Full participation in program services and activities, 45 CFR § 1302.60
- Additional services for parents, 45 CFR § 1302.62 (a), (a)(1)-(2), (b), (b)(1)-(4)
- Transitions from Early Head Start, 45 CFR § 1302.70 (a), (c)
- Transitions from Head Start to kindergarten, 45 CFR § 1302.71 (b), (b)(1)-(2), (b)(2)(i)-(iv)
- Transitions between programs, 45 CFR § 1302.72 (a)-(c)
- Family partnership services for enrolled pregnant women, 45 CFR § 1302.82 (a), (b)
Last Updated: August 7, 2018