- Describe the physical environment for this activity. Who is participating? Who is leading the activity? What seems to be the goal? What does the teacher ask the children to do together? What does she say and do to involve individual children in the activity?
- Which teaching practices does the teacher use to help children understand that a numeral represents a quantity? Check the “Know” and “Do” sections for ideas.
- What materials has the teacher provided to support the children’s learning about counting and cardinality?
- What are some other ways the teacher can involve the children in developing mathematical knowledge?
- What are some materials and activities teachers can offer children to support their understanding of numbers, written numerals, quantities, and concepts such as more than and less than?