- Describe the physical setting for this activity. Who is taking part? Where do they sit in relation to each other? What does the teacher say and do while guiding the children’s exploration of measurement? How do the children respond to her suggestions and questions?
- Which teaching practices does this teacher use to support the children’s understanding of measurement—in this case, using a balance scale to measure the weight of objects? Check the “Know” and “Do” sections for ideas.
- How does the teacher encourage the children to expand their learning and understanding about weight?
- What might the children do and learn if the teacher provided a basket filled with items that were the same size and weight? How would that experience differ from the one the children had in the video segment?
- What other kinds of measurement can the children do? What standard and non-standard measurement tools could they use to measure length, height, and so on?