- Describe the physical environment where the video takes place. Where in the classroom are the children playing? What materials are they using? What language did the teacher use to scaffold the children’s play? Where does the teacher go and what happens after she returns? How did the children respond to the teacher?
- Which teaching practices does the teacher use to help the children learn to reason and solve problems? Check the “Know” and “Do” sections for ideas. In this instance, what does she do to provide strategies for solving problems and how does she model planning ahead to solve problems?
- How does the teacher help the children learn about solving problems when there is not enough of a desired material? What solutions does she offer so the play can continue?
- What might the teacher say and do when the children are ready to be more engaged in problem-solving and thinking ahead? How could she include them as partners in problem-solving?
- During this experience, the teacher helps the children address a social issue—taking turns and sharing. How can toddler teachers integrate reasoning and problem-solving when helping children gain social skills?