- Describe features of the environment (e.g., toys and equipment, how the space is arranged) where the action takes place. What do you observe in the teachers’ interactions with the children during the group greeting song? What do the teachers do and say to give the children a sense of belonging? How do the children respond?
- Which teaching practices do the teachers use to help the children connect with others and feel a sense of belonging in this classroom? Check the “Know” and “Do” sections for ideas. How do the teachers respond to Lucas (the child in the blue shirt who initially does not want to get up and dance)? How might that help him feel accepted?
- How does the environment support the children in connecting with classmates of their own age and classmates who are younger?
- What do you think each child gained from this group greeting song? What might the children have learned about themselves and about connecting with others?
- Why might the teacher on the right have physically supported Kennedy in choosing the next child to greet?
- What else might the teachers do to encourage the children in this group to feel confident, connected, and able to enjoy their relationships with others?