- Describe the physical setting. Who is involved in the video? Where do they sit in relation to each other? What are they doing? What does the teacher say when the child points to the illustrations in the book? How does he respond? Which words does he say clearly and accurately while pointing?
- Which teaching practices does the teacher use while reading with the child? Check the “Know” and “Do” sections for ideas. Do the practices succeed in helping the child add new words to his vocabulary?
- How does the teacher follow the child’s lead? How does she reinforce vocabulary she wants him to learn?
- What are some signs that the teacher and child have a strong relationship?
- What do you think the child learned about himself as a result of this one-on-one reading and sharing experience?
- What might the teacher do next to build on this learning experience?